Before you enrol, please read the following conditionsThe minimum age for studying at New Horizon is 14 years unless you are a part of an organised group.
Class PlacementWe cater for all levels of English, however, placement in a class is subject to your English language proficiency which will be tested on arrival, and student numbers. We reserve the right to transfer your fees to a proportional number of 1 to 1 hours if there is no class available for your level. Once a class becomes available, you can go into that class.
Declaration of Medical ConditionsFailure to disclose information in this section that results in harm to yourself or to another person may result in the termination of your enrolment with full loss of fees.
Payment of FeesThe first day of each course is the Monday of that week and attendance is required from then. Payment of fees is required 14 days before the course starts. Fees are calculated in calendar weeks, regardless of any public holidays that fall during a week. Three or more days count as one week. New Horizon reserves the right to adjust its fees. In the case of late entry to a course, or absence or early departure from a course, no refund of fees can be guaranteed. In the case that your visa application is declined, all fees will be refunded except fees for services that have already been provided. Delay of Start Date In the case of a student requesting permission to delay their start date, this will only be given if New Horizon has received and approved such a request prior to 5.00pm New Zealand time on the Friday before the original start date.
Cancellation or Course Reduction
- For courses 3 months or longer: Cancellation or changes must occur before the start date or during the first ten working days of the course for which attendance is required. New Horizon will refund all fees, less a deduction for costs incurred by New Horizon up to a maximum of 25% of your fees. We refund any unused portion of your accommodation fees. After ten working days no refund can be guaranteed.
- For courses 5 weeks to less than 3 months: Cancellation or changes must occur before the start date or within the first five days of the course for which attendance is required. New Horizon will refund 75% of your fees minus fees for other services that have already been provided. We refund any unused portion of your accommodation fees. After five days no refund can be guaranteed.
- For courses less than 5 weeks: Cancellation or changes must occur before the start date or within the first two days of the course for which attendance is required. New Horizon will refund 50% of your fees minus fees for other services that have already been provided. We refund any unused portion of your accommodation fees. After two days no refund can be guaranteed.
School RulesStudents will be in class on time at 9am and after every break. Students will attend school unless ill. If a student is ill then he/she will notify the school at the start of the day. Students will co-operate with staff and other students and study seriously. Students are expected to speak English at all times while on campus. Students will not use rude words in English or in their own language. Students will behave in a way that safeguards themselves and others. Students will show consideration to others at all times. Students will keep the house rules of the Homestay family. If students wish to spend any night(s) away from their Homestay family they must: (a) notify their Homestay family, and (b) notify New Horizon. Students must not drink alcohol on campus. Students will obey New Zealand Laws, which include: Students must not use illegal drugs. Students must not drive a car or motorcycle unless they have an International Driver’s Licence, or their own country’s licence with an official English translation, or they obtain a New Zealand Licence. Students must wear a safety helmet when cycling and wear seatbelts in any vehicle. Students must not use the Internet service to illegally download copyrighted materials. Students must not use the Internet service to view pornography or other objectionable material. New Horizon College rules are to ensure that the course runs smoothly. Acceptance of and compliance with these rules is a contractual obligation on the part of the student. Failure to comply may lead to the expulsion of the student, forfeiture of the tuition fees and notification to NZ Immigration that the student is no longer enrolled at the college.
Student Discipline ProceduresMinor infringements will be dealt with by the class teacher or the Director of Studies during or after class. The student will be given every opportunity to react to the feedback given and adjust their behaviour accordingly. Serious infringements will be dealt with by the following stages:
- Teacher or staff member will refer the student to the Director of Studies. 2. After discussion with both parties a first warning form will be given and noted on the disciplinary form which is held in the Discipline file in the Director of Studies’ office. 3. On the second occasion a second warning form will be filled in and action taken to assist the student to react to the feedback received and adjust their behaviour accordingly. 4. On the third occasion a final warning will be given to the student, parent and agent by the Director of Studies. 5. The fourth infringement will result in suspension. An action plan and time frame will result from this meeting. 6. The fifth infringement will lead to expulsion of the student and notification will be sent to NZ Immigration that the student visa has been revoked. Should the student damage school or homestay property or another person intentionally the procedure will be fast tracked to stage 4, 5 or 6.
Grievance ProcedureThe New Horizon internal and external grievance procedures are detailed on the student noticeboard.
Liability and InsuranceNew Horizon shall not be liable for any damage, loss or injury to persons or property either at the school, on school activities or at the homestay, except where this is expressly imposed by law. Students must obtain personal insurance to cover themselves against accident or illness, theft, loss of or damage to their personal property. Insurance Policies are available through New Horizon. New Horizon shall not be liable to any student if contracted services cannot be provided for reasons beyond its control. New Horizon reserves the right to cancel or amend courses as necessary. In the event of cancellation, students may be offered an alternative course or refund of their fees.
Use of Information and Privacy StatementNew Horizon collects and stores information from this form to:
- manage the business of New Horizon (including internal reporting and administrative processes)
- comply with the requirements of the Education Act 1989 and other legislation relating to maintenance of official records and accountability for public funding
- supply information to government agencies and other organisations as set out below.
- the Ministry of Education
- the New Zealand Qualifications Authority
- the Tertiary Education Commission
- Immigration New Zealand (a branch of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment): for those who are not New Zealand citizens or permanent residents.
- administer the tertiary education system, including allocating funding
- develop policy advice for government
- conduct statistical analysis and research.