While you are studying and travelling in New Zealand you must have travel and medical insurance cover all the time.
If you are not sure what to do, Southern Cross insurance is available through New Horizon and premiums can be added to invoices to be paid with your fees. For information on Southern Cross’s policies and benefits see their website at www.scti.co.nz/international-student. Translations are available in Chinese, Korean and Spanish.
If you would like to use your own insurance company please send us a copy of your policy (with an English explanation) as soon as you have arranged it. You will not be allowed to start your course until you have shown us your insurance policy.
Check that your policy covers these minimum requirements:
- The insurer provides emergency 24 hour, 7 day per week cover.
- The amount of money available for medical expenses and emergency evacuation and repatriation in the event of a claim should be unlimited.
- Medical expenses, including doctors visits, surgery, prescription medication, injury to teeth, hospitalisation, optical cover.
- Emergency evacuation and repatriation, to enable the student to be accompanied home (alive or deceased) by medical professionals in case of serious illness or injury, and to enable the student to return home if a member of their immediate family becomes ill or dies and then to return to New Zealand to complete their studies.
- Accompanying relative cover, to enable students’ parents to fly to New Zealand as soon as possible if the student becomes ill or dies.
- Personal liability, to cover instances where a student causes accidental damage to property at the school or homestay.
- Loss of deposits, including school fees, in case a student is unable to complete their studies due to a medical emergency, their own or that of a relative. This is VERY important! If a student or a member of a student’s family becomes very sick and the student cannot continue their course, the insurance company can refund the unused school fees.
NOTE: Check that your luggage and your camera etc are also covered. This is not required but we recommend it.
If your insurance cover does not meet the minimum requirements in one or more areas we will advise you to increase your level of cover. If this is not possible, we will ask you to sign a document stating that you have been informed of the minimum requirements and that you waive New Horizon’s duty of care.